The only pumpkin pie I make at Thanksgiving or Christmas. It’s relatively easy and delicious!
- 1 Egg
- 2 Egg Whites
- ¾ Cups Splenda (or sugar)
- ½ Cups Low-fat Baking Mix (see recipes list)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 (12oz) can Evaporated Milk (Lite / Low Fat)
- 2 Cups Pumpkin (or 1 can 15oz solid-pack pumpkin)
- Whipped Topping (Lite / Low Fat) or Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 350f or 200c (forced air fan)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg, egg whites, pumpkin, Splenda/sugar, homemade baking mix, vanilla and spices until smooth.
- Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into 9in baking pan (I use a deeper flat bottomed baking bowl instead) that’s been coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 350f / 200c for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted near the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with a dollop of whipped topping. Refrigerate any leftovers.
If using Butternut Squash, cut the squash lengthwise and scoop out strings and seeds. Hard to get out strings will come out easily after baking. Place on a foil wrapped baking tray (one with sides) with the skin side up and cook at 180c-200c (about 350f-375f) for about an hour or until very soft. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Scoop out any remaining strings, then scoop pumpkin into measuring cup. You need about 2c pumpkin to make the pie. You’ll probably get right around 2c pumpkin from one whole butternut squash. We don’t have ‘Cool Whip’ in Australia but you can buy cans of Reddi / Dream Whip in the shopping market. Enjoy with friends and family!