Tomorrow I’m having a couple of cortisone shots in my spine to help deal with the inflammation. I’m hoping that it makes as big of difference to my back, and the sciatica I’ve been dealing with as it did for the hip bursitis. I’d really like to be able to go on walks again or geez at least use the treadmill.
Aside from that, things are going alright. For the last several days I’ve been using a little timer on my main computer, set at 25 minutes and the goal is to ‘Do Stuff’ (notice I didn’t say ‘work’) for 25 minutes. This often turns out to be stretched to about 30 minutes, but it does keep me at the computer and doing stuff. I’ve got an amazing amount of stuff done, like the Support area for the VCSWEB website and other odd jobs. It was something I read in a blog about writing and thought I’d put it to practice, not only for writing but anything/everything. So far, it’s working great. And it keeps me doing stuff rather than escaping out to the patio where I admit I don’t get a whole lot done, but I do enjoy myself. The other good thing is that it’s not so long that I get stiff. It gives me good breaks where I can move around a little bit in between stints.
Oh, I suppose I should explain why it’s been so long since I’ve added an entry… late last month (September) our server was made inaccessible to us, not because we had a spammer on our system (we didn’t) but because a spammer had signed up for the free DNS service that we offered (one of Rod’s projects). Our provider shut us off for over the weekend because we had to speak with their abuse department which wasn’t available for the entire weekend. In addition they didn’t even tell us what the problem was or why we were shut out until we practically begged for the information. Needless to say, we found a new provider and once we had access to our server again started the process of moving. We also completely discontinuted the free service as it’s not worth it in the long run.
I’d been working on an update to the VCSWEB site for some time before this, and under the circumstances it seemed a good time to put the update into place. As well, I needed to completely re-write the Support area because nearly everything has changed. The best thing about all this is that things are much easier to maintain and there’s a whole lot less work involved all the way around, aside from getting everything set up. I still need to do some template files for things that are offsite with our new colours and such, but it’s getting there and looking good so far.
My experiment with using Sodastream fizzy drinks went by the way side during the server move but in the last couple of weeks I’ve got back to making my own cola. I did the maths for this the other day and the 24 pack case of Pepsi Max we’d been buying on sale at $11 actually costs us $2.44 a litre. My Sodastream cola costs 41cents a litre. That’s a huge difference in price. Anyway, it’s been quite good and my only ‘hardship’ is the bottles really seal quite well. Sometimes I have to really work to get it opened. Aside from that, no problems at all, and it tastes fine.
So, that’s what I’ve been up to, and I’ll try to do an update soon to let you know how the cortisone shots go.