A Permanent Memorial for Rod

My new letterbox
On Easter weekend a drunk driver hit a truck parked on the street, which lurched forward and knocked over my almost indestructible letterbox that Rod’s dad made in the early 70’s. He’d put it together with 3 steel rods so it couldn’t be destroyed by teenage boys playing with explosives. The rods survived but it took two of Rod’s friends to put them close to upright again.

A brickie friend, John, offered to build me a new postbox. I have had the titanium hip and femur rod that was put in to keep Rod walking when cancer was removed from his leg. I’d wondered just what on earth to do with it but knew it had to be something special. I mentioned to John about adding this to the inside of the new box. He said it would be his honour.
 

Some interesting things about my new letterbox
(that’s a cleverly camouflaged memorial to my husband):

  • Rod’s hip and femur rod are in the middle of the box, with the hip ball at the top, in about the centre of the box, with the ball slightly higher so it can be seen.
  • The house numbers that will be put on the front tomorrow are from a very special handmade card that friends made for Rod on his 60th birthday. Luckily the 6 can be turned upside down so it becomes the number 9.
  • Not long after we met in the Commodore Fidonet echo, Rod wrote the only Offline Mail Reader for the C128. Over 100 Commodore 128 users around the globe used his app to read and reply to all kinds of online Fidonet messages.
  • Hundreds of Australian online merchants know Rod for his Ozpost shipping plugin for numerous shopping cart systems. Again, mail and postage.
  • The original steel rods that formed the foundation for the first letterbox are still in place. John worked around the bent rods that couldn’t be moved. A comment about Rod’s twisted sense of humour and sometimes rigid views goes without saying here.

Hits: 3

Other Posts

Instagram Pics

7Jul21 Well I can't have my cake without some gym time, even if it was sugar free!  So I did a full body workout - arms, legs, punching stand - I went all out and felt great for doing it.  #2021pad #strengthtraining #homegymlife #keepmoving
14Oct21  This was from a zoom 'meeting' organised by the US Embassy.  It was obvious this guy had no idea what the background made him look like, and it was too funny not to grab a screen capture. This was one of those meetings where there are several 'watchers' while a presentation was given. I ended up bailing because it was 90% stuff that didn't pertain to me and I'm sure the other 10% could be found on their website. It was a train wreck!  #muchlatergram #2021pad #toofunny #anewdanddcharacter #thisguyisanelf
16Oct21 My old treadmill is gone and I finally have my rower next to the window.  The room is so much nicer to walk through and BE IN now.  #muchlatergram #rowing #darkhorserowing #homegymlife #keepmoving #iamadarkhorse #2021pad
10Jul21 Sometimes you just crave a big bowl of roasted veggies. Today was that kind of day. Zucchini, red and green capsicum, onion and mushrooms.  I added the last two items for the last 5 minutes so they wouldn't get over cooked. Delicious! #cooking #cookingforone #airfrying #airfryer #baking #2021pad
15July21  This little thing is a Raspberry Pi. It now runs my lights and other automations in my house without needing to worry about having the Internet working or not. I also wanted to move the automation stuff from my computer because a reboot or a long OS update could make the lights not work right until the computer was back up.  This little gizmo takes care of all that for me. I never thought I'd be using a Raspberry Pi let alone putting together the case and fan for it on my own. The hardware side was easy. Networking had me in circles for awhile until I found how to get the MAC address for the ethernet. With that, I was able to give it a permanent IP address and everything worked like a dream after that. #cf21 #manmade #rpi #raspberrypi #homebridge #homeautomation
17Jul21 This branch was next to, and partially under my car.  I looked the car over for any scratches or dents but thankfully there were none.  I really wish I had a carport... and that the weather would change back to something less exciting. #2021pad #wind #treebranch #nodamage #cf21 #change

Add a comment if you wish